10.25.2012

"Apple Pie Making"

Apples, apples, apples!  Our main topic of choice these past couple weeks.  I believe I got this idea from "Growing a jeweled rose" and then tweaked it a little myself.  I made regular old cloud dough that we've done before following the recipe: 7 cups of flour to 1 cup vegetable (or baby) oil.  But this time I added in some crushed up chalk (that I smashed with a hammer) to give the red color and put in some cinnamon for a yummy smell (I didn't have any sort of apple spice).  


They used their muffin tins to make yummy apple pies!  This turned out to be an activity that they stuck with for a LONG time over the course of a couple days AND it was a handy activity that they were able to do right outside the door on the back porch while Mommy made lunch.  Score!  The apple letters I had originally made for a different activity but never got around to it so we threw them in there too.  Big K liked putting them in alphabetical order and spelling out her name with them.  I tried to stretch the activity with spelling other words too but that interest didn't last too long.  Not yet at least! =)  






And this of course is what eventually ended up happening with it...making a lovely icky mess on my back porch! What toddler/preschooler can continue to play with something messy in a contained space? But it was enjoyable during the process so well worth it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment